MMoCA Unveils Details for Fall Gallery Night
Oct 04, 2017 09:31AM ● Published by Jim
Gallery: Gallery Night MMoCA - A Program of the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art [3 Images] Click any image to expand.
By: Madison Museum of Contemporary Art
Gallery Night: A Special Program of the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art designed to help connect people with the transformative power of art.
On October 6, Gallery Night will take place, engaging thousands across the Greater-Madison area in an evening of art and community. This unique event creates free opportunities to connect with others, explore neighborhoods, visit local businesses, and experience a wide-variety of artistic and creative expression. Held each spring and fall, the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art’s Gallery Night provides a dynamic evening packed with performances, receptions, artist talks, art-making demonstrations, and live music.
Gallery Night is from 5 to 9 pm and will culminate in a celebratory After Party in the beautiful lobby of the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art (MMoCA) from 9 to 11 pm.
Gallery Night is just one way that MMoCA connects people with the transformative power of art. Annually, MMoCA touches the lives hundreds of thousands across Dane County as well as the many who visit the museum.
Whether in favorite neighborhood joints, up-and-coming hotspots, or elegant spaces downtown, people can enjoy works by local, national, and international artists. Gallery Night features an ever-expanding event footprint, with dozens of venues in Madison as well as easily accessible participants in Fitchburg, Middleton, Waunakee, and Mt. Horeb. Highlights include:
· Visit MMoCA for an interactive experience related to Meg Mitchell’s Tenacious Numismatic Hops Exchange, a massive artwork that functions both as a trellis to support hops plants, and as a platform for social engagement and artistic activity.
· Explore new venues: the Barriques on West Washington and on Atwood, Hawks Quindel, S.C., Bobbie Harte Photography, Access Wisconsin, Shad Wenzlaff Piano Studio, and Oakwood Village.
· Venture to Mr. Robert’s bar on Atwood to view works by Jo Jensen and Chris Murphy in a space formerly used as a bomb shelter.
· Be one of the first to see the newly unveiled outdoor exhibits at UW-Madison’s Alumni Park, on campus next to the Memorial Union.
· Check out the newest offerings at Midwest Clay Project, a community clay studio on Winnebago Street.
· Meet artists Maya Madden and Wayne Farra of No Rules Jewelry at a Trunk Show in the MMoCA Museum Store.
· Watch feats of skill, beauty, and potential awkwardness at the Madison Circus Space.
· Finish the evening with the not-to-be-missed Gallery Night After Party in the MMoCA lobby (9-11 pm) with music by DJ Boyfrrriend, hands-on art-making, cocktails from fresco, and snacks.
To help visitors plan their Gallery Night excursions, an interactive map of participating venues can be found at www.mmoca.org/gallerynight. The printed guide to Gallery Night, with details about offerings and locations, may be picked up free of charge at participating establishments. A map and list of Gallery Night participants will also be available in the October 6 edition of Isthmus.
Additional details are available here: http://www.mmoca.org/events/special-events/gallery-night/gallery-night